It's tough to turn on the T.V or flip through the pages of a magazine without seeing an advertisment for a prescription drug. As the symptoms and side effects are listed, one can't help but wonder... when did we as a nation get so sick?
In 2013, U.S. pharmaceutical sales soared. What exactly is in our medicine cabinets? The top 5 drugs for 2013 in sales were:
1. Abilify - For depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia.
2. Nexium - For stomach acid reduction.
3. Humira - For pain relief and inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn's disease, & psoriasis.
4. Crestor - Statin drug to reduce LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol
5. Cymbalta - Effects neurotransmitters serotonin and norepinephrine for depression and pain
The amount of money spent on just these top 5 selling drugs was a staggering $27, 975, 871. That is almost $28 million dollars in just one year. We aren't alone in this pursuit of relief, either. More than $10 billion is spent each year worldwi...Read More